Tuesday, June 15, 2010

On the Brighter Side of Things

I've always been a pretty positive person. Without trying very hard I enjoy myself almost anywhere and can see the bright side of nearly any situation. I have a perfect example. I went on a trip to Mexico with my best friend, Amanda and her sister (also, my friend) Dana several years ago. When we got back from that trip Amanda and Dana would joke about what a terrible trip it was. The first time they did, I was like, huh?

To give you the highlights:
-- The first night we are there Dana realizes she is pregnant with her son, Justin, and can't drink; On a Mexican vacation-no alcohol, I don't think its ever been done before poor Dana had to endure it.
--Mexico was also experiencing some sort of cold front, so it was freezing cold the whole time we were there. We sunbathed under newly purchased blankets by the pool.
--We went for a horseback ride and my horse who I had nicknamed "Muy Mal" had diarrhea and I thought was going to die beneath me.
--Dana had menu mishaps wherever we went. Ordered chicken fajitias that were so gross the street dogs were not even interested and got a seafood pasta that smelled so bad it put me off my own dinner.
--We had wild dogs attack our rental car, got lost in the same rental car in some shanty town where I thought we'd never make it out alive.
--On the way home we had a multi-hour drive to get to the airport. In Mexicali, which we had to drive through, there was some sort of saints' day parade blocking most of the streets and locals had decided that was a good day to burn all the garbage in the city making it a hazy, lung chocking mess.
--The delay in Mexicali meant we missed our flight and had to wait 12 hours for the next one. Amanda was so exhausted and sick by the time we got on the plane that it was the first and hopefully last time I get to witness someone using the barf bag the airline provides.

Somehow through all of that I still walked away thinking I'd had a fine vacation. I think I have proved my point on how I look on the bright side of things. I have always thought of life as a journey and it's not good or bad but will always be, for everyone, a mix of the two. I think that attitude has helped me enormously with coping with my sick child. And luckily, I think little Noah has inherited my attitude.

Some once asked me if I would wish Noah to be different. You know, of course I wish all the time that he didn't have to work so hard to gain every new skill and that he wasn't plagued by seizures that scare us all. I don't, however, wish he was different than who he is. I am so immensely proud of Noah. He works so hard at school, therapy and with me at home. He does it all with a smile and giggling. Noah is trying, right now while I am writing this, to make me laugh. He loves people and you know when Noah loves you. He greets you with crazy giggles and a huge hug. If he really loves you he may include a bite because he is just so darn excited to see you. I would never be ashamed that he is a special needs kid. Noah is awesome.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My memories of our vacation are all fantastic. We had breakfast at the lighthouse. We rode horses on the beach. We snuggled under a blanket by the pool. We had great steak at Steak and Chicken night at the clubhouse. I remember a perfect vacation. You saved my vacation. You kept everything positive. That is what you do. I love you and your family, Amanda

    ReplyDelete