Sunday, July 12, 2009

Getting Noah Ready for School

On Wednesday we had a transitional meeting with Noah's physical therapist, Kelly, and Speech Pathologist, Jean to discuss our little guy attending school all by himself this fall. This will entail riding the bus and spending 2 1/2 hours in a classroom without me. This is sort of exciting and scary all at the same time.

On the plus side I am curious to see what Noah can learn without me there to help him. I try really hard to make him do things for himself, but I am his mother and may be making things easier for him when he needs the challenge to learn. I think he'll enjoy a classroom with other kids his age (to hit). The teachers are all therapists and will be working with him to address his specific needs. He has never had twice weekly therapy and that can only be a good thing.

My concerns include that he doesn't yet talk. He signs a mean "more" but that's about it. Will his teachers have the time to decipher his non-verbal clues? Will his teachers be able to control his excitement that sometimes (most the time) bubbles over to hitting other people?

Kelly and Jean say they have both worked with other children who didn't have Noah's skill set and they thrived at school. And they would know right? So, we are getting ready to say good-bye to our two at home therapists, Kelly and Jean, who have given us so much support and attention. They have worked with Noah since he was a year old. I don't know about Noah, but I am going to miss them being his cheerleaders for each and every little accomplishment Noah has made. Now my big (nearly) 3 year old is off to school!

1 comment:

  1. Good for him...this is a positive step forward. This will give you a needed break; even though you will miss him like crazy. I went through it with all my kids...letting them go off to school, and become their own people. It is hard even with full functioning children, let alone your little Noah. That will definately be more scary, but in time, you will adjust, as will he, and you will both enjoy your time. Good luck - to all of you.

    ReplyDelete