Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My Owie Bear

Raising Noah requires endless thought into focusing on his learning opportunities, doing therapy exercises, policing his behavior, and worrying over his general health. Where does my sweet Owie fit into all of this?

I know everyone's child is special in their way. Owen's way is that he is so kind and helpful. He actually won a trophy on the last day of school for being the best helper and most congenial in his class. His Uncle Shane calls him the oldest 5 year old he's ever seen.

These qualities make Owen an especially terrific big brother. He praises Noah's accomplishments and is fairly patient about Noah bulldozing through his toys. These qualities also make him a great helper to me. He loves to vacuum and cleaning windows is one of his favorites. He told me yesterday that he needs to get a new broom to sweep the house.

These same traits however make me concerned that Owen won't speak up if he's not getting the time and attention he needs. He is only 5. He understands a little that Noah has health problems that mean he goes to the hospital a lot and make it harder for him to learn. But how can any kid understand how Noah's issues mean he takes up so much more of my time than I have for him? I try really hard to be aware that Owen is just 5 and to take time every day for just he and I to do an activity. Geoff spends a lot of time with Owen, so I think Owen gets enough "parent time". But I miss him. I don't want to miss a minute of Owen growing up. He is such an amazing kid. Owen is off to kindergarten this fall and he's becoming a big kid too fast. I want more time to ride bikes with him, read stories to him, play garbage trucks with him. I just need to find more time. --Amy

1 comment:

  1. Owie is the sweetest little boy! He will have a ball camping at the beach next week. love oma

    ReplyDelete